Customs station, aristocratic seat, seminary: The history of the Schmochtitz estate near Bautzen in Upper Lusatia dates back to the 12th century, when the Via Regia presumably ran through the area. The estate served as an aristocratic residence from the 14th to the 19th century, during which time the building was restructured several times. The Schmochtitz estate then served as a seminary for the Catholic Church between 1925 and 1945, until it was completely destroyed in the final days of the war. Ever since the manor house was rebuilt, it has been an educational and conference center for the Diocese of Dresden-Meissen. In addition to the Paradise Garden and Rococo Park, numerous traditional Sorbian festivals attract people to the region. Some of the annual highlights include Easter Riding, Bird Wedding, Witch Burning, Maypole Throwing and St. Nicholas Singing. The Schmochtitz estate is part of the »Via Sacra«, a pilgrim trail featuring precious works of art in the place where Germany, Poland and Czech Republic meet.
Arrival & map
Next City: Bautzen (9 km)
Opening hours and admission prices
Further information on opening hours and admission prices can be found here