Dresden ZwingerPlayground of the nymphs
A Zwinger, or outer ward, is actually just the free space between the inner and outer ring of the city walls. In Dresden, the capital of Saxony, the most splendid outer ward in the world was created for the prestigious festivities of the European aristocracy in the early 18th century.
Pushed on by the architectural passion of Augustus the Strong, the originally simple plans for a new orangery suddenly gained in extent and size. These works of art for the court were created by architectural genius Matthaeus Daniel Poeppelmann and master sculptor Balthasar Permoser.
Plans for the construction of an adjoining palace were never realized, but in the 19th century Gottfried Semper's picture gallery and opera house were built on the planned site.
Today, visitors find the museums of the Dresden State Art Collections, including the Porcelain Collection, the Old Masters Picture Gallery and the Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments in the Zwinger. In summer, the Zwinger forms an atmospheric backdrop to a series of open-air events. The rather secluded “Nymphs’ Bath” counts among the most beautiful fountains of Baroque – an artistic synthesis of architecture, sculpture and water.
The orange trees are returning home
In the Year 1710 August the stong gave new Glory to the Dresden Zwinger. Several hundred italian orange trees found their places in one of the most beautiful Orangery in Germany. To get nearer to the original intention the first 80 orange trees should find their way back into the Dresden Zwinger in 2017.
These valuable bitter orange trees are cultivated in the Grosssedlitz Baroque Garden until their relocation to the Dresden Zwinger. Please support this project and become a sponsor for an orange tree.
More Inforamtion about your patronage
guidebook »The Dresden Zwinger« for 4,90 EUR
buy at Dresden Fortress
48 pages, English