Dresden FortressThe Balcony of Europe
The remnants of the Dresden Fortress, whose entrance lies hidden between the Albertinum and the Art Academy, are witness to the feuds and military campaigns born out of courtly glamor. Strongly-built walls around the old Brick Gate receive the visitor right where, in 1707, Johann Friedrich Boettger first invented European porcelain in his laboratory deep below the »Jungfernbastei« (the Virgin Bastion).
An entertaining audio guide relating the history of the Dresden Fortress in an original way will fascinate young and old alike.
Above the darkness of the fortress casemats is Bruehl’s Terrace, which was created for the influential court favourite Heinrich von Bruehl. This Dresden landmark, originally a defensive structure, was turned into a place where people could stroll and saunter and was named “The Balcony of Europe” because here people from all over the world meet. The panoramic view of the Elbe River and the white steamboats is an essential part of any visit to Dresden.