Albrechtsburg CastleTrendsetter since 1471
Where is the hill on which three castles grow, along its side three waters flow?” – Thus goes an old German rhyme. The solution to the riddle is “Meissen”. Here, where the castle hill is surrounded by the rivers Elbe, Triebisch and Meisa, a wooden fortification was built in 929, high above the gloomy forests in the eastern-most parts of the then still young Holy Roman Empire.
It was to become the cradle of Saxony – the place from where, for centuries to come, the princes’ dynasty of the Wettins ruled the land in the heart of Europe, which steadily gained in power. The fortification was soon replaced by a castle built of stone that hence forth stood out as a solitary landmark of mundane power sending out impulses far beyond the borders of the March of Meissen. So it was here that, supervised by master builder Arnold von Westfalen, Germany’s first palace building was erected by the Wettins as a symbol of their power to be seen from afar – a masterly piece of architecture whose bold architectural solutions and design still impress visitors today. However, after centuries of blossoming, the place re mained unused for a long time. It was not until Augustus the Strong decreed that the first European porcelain manufactory move into the building that new life was breathed into the castle situated above the Elbe River.
With the “White Gold” produced in Meissen, its triumphant march through Europe began. Impressive exhibits in the castle rooms, displayed in a modern interactive style, remind us of this stroke of occidental inventive genius. In every corner, visitors will find a real picture book of Saxon history, which time and again brings the fascination of architecture, power and porcelain in Germany’s oldest palace back to life.
guidebook »Albrechtsburg Meissen" for 4.90 EUR
buy at the checkout
72 pages, English