Mildenstein CastleA symbol of power carved in stone
The mighty castle of Mildenstein is one of the oldest in Saxony; its name first appears in a document in 1046. The Salier kings held court here, then the Staufer kings under Emperor Barbarossa who undertook a large-scale extension, and later still the Wettin margraves under whom Mildenstein became a court of law and a notorious prison. The instruments of torture and the many bolted and barred doors behind the meter-thick walls still send a shiver down the spines of visitors.
Architecturally, the barrel vaulting of the Gothic granary, the keep and the Romanesque castle chapel with its three-winged altar are outstanding, as are the medieval knights' halls. The sheer size of the castle complex allows it to be used in many ways: the exhibition provides sometimes drastic insight into medieval judiciary and regulation, also concerts are held throughout the year. Delicacies that were then served to the elector in festively lit halls are still served by stewards and pages on St Martin’s Day. The rustic knights’ halls can also be used for private functions.